Updating zones

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Sep 27 22:11:33 UTC 2007

> From: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko at async.com.br>
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:04:12 -0300
> To: Ryan McCain <Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us>
> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Re: Updating zones
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:56:58PM -0500, Ryan McCain wrote:
> > I have 3 zones that all point to a shared.zone file via $INCLUDE.  When I
add a new DNS record to shared.zone I now have to:

> > 1) Update the reverse zone
> > 2) Update the serial # in zone1
> > 3) Update the serial # in zone2
> > 4) Update the serial # in zone3
>
> For the case of 2, 3 and 4, if they are truly identical you could do as
> I do and just have a master file symlinked between them.

Or point to the same file from all three zone defs.

> --
> Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."