Updating zones

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 28 00:30:54 UTC 2007

In article <fdh9mk$2ek0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Christian Robottom Reis <kiko at async.com.br> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:56:58PM -0500, Ryan McCain wrote:
> > I have 3 zones that all point to a shared.zone file via $INCLUDE.  When I
> > add a new DNS record to shared.zone I now have to:
> >
> > 1) Update the reverse zone
> > 2) Update the serial # in zone1
> > 3) Update the serial # in zone2
> > 4) Update the serial # in zone3
>
> For the case of 2, 3 and 4, if they are truly identical you could do as
> I do and just have a master file symlinked between them.

But maybe they're not completely identical, they have some unique
entries and then a bunch of shared entries in the shared.zone file.

In this case, what you could do is put the SOA record in the shared.zone
file as well.  You'll need to update this serial number whenever you
update shared.zone or any of the individual zone files, so at most
you'll ever have to update two files when you add a new DNS record.

This has one misfeature -- if you update zone1, the serial numbers of
zone2 and zone3 will also be updated, and the slaves will transfer all
of them.  But unless your zones are huge I wouldn't worry too much about
this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA