NS will not update

Paul A razor at meganet.net
Wed Apr 9 14:21:25 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I'm really stumped on this problem I'm having. I have two name servers one
doing all primary zones, lets say A and a slave server, B.
When I update a record on server A, the slave server, B sees it and updates
the zone.

However if I setup a zone on the slave server B as a primary zone and one
server A set it up as the slave, server A will not see any updates from B.
Server A will only see the updates from B when I do an rndc reload on the
zone.

I do see B sending out the notifies and I have server A listed as an NS
server in the zone, but looking at the logs I never see the update reaching
the server.
I have disabled iptables and checked ACL's etc, nothing is blocking the
updates.

I even went as far as to try and setting up another name server on the same
subnet as A, lets call it C, and A will not take updates from this server,
C, as well. Again if I do a rndc reload on A for the slave zone then it will
update it.

Any thoughts, is there a way for me to be able to watch the notifies from B
to A and have it be verbose so I can see what happens.

the only difference between the named.conf files or A and B, is that B has
ixfr-from-differences yes; and A does not, although this should cause an
issue.

Thanks,

Paulo Amaral
MegaNet Communications