problem with a dns server bind

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Apr 23 12:15:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:36:36AM +0200,
 Vincent WICKY <vincent.wicky at orange.fr> wrote
 a message of 161 lines which said:

> Hello I'm french,

Me too.

> sorry I don't speak very well english.

Me neither.

> I set up a debian computer with this following data.

BTW, the debian-user-french list is french-speaking and quite
knowledgeable on TCP/IP issues.

> The server don't run but I don't know where is the problem.

You forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of information: the log file (for
BIND, /var/log/daemon.log by default on a Debian).

Gazing at configuration files for hours is useless when you can have
the answer in a few seconds by reading the log file, where BIND writes
what happens to it.

> name of the dns : somex.lan

"name of the DNS" means nothing. May be "name of the domain"? (If so,
using locally defined TLD such as ".lan" is almost always a bad idea
but we'll skip that for a while.)

> 127.0.0.1localhost

There should be a space between the IP address and the name.

> search somex.local

somex.local or somex.lan as you wrote before?

> zone "somex.local" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.somex.local";
> forwarders{};
> };

I'm not sure that you can put a "forwarders" directive in a "zone"
stanza. But, anyway, the error message is in the log file, together
with the line number of the error.

> fichier db.somex.local
>
> $TTL604800 at INSOAdebian.somex.local.root.somex.local. (

A lot of whitespaces are missing.