Name based hosts and bind

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Wed Apr 23 17:36:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

Still having fun getting the old webserver up and running.

As I am dealing with getting PTR records to work perfectly for the first
domain, which is also the nameserver domain, I came across this little issue
that is not touched upon in the Oreilly or ProDNS books.....namebasedhosts
sharing the same IP address.

The server is both a caching and authoritive for my server and my sites on
the server. But many sites will be 'name based', this means sharing the same
IP address.

Since they are sharing the same ip address I find that the in-addr.arpa file
would be the same one. However, both books stress that BIND will choke
during use if you have two addresses listed for the same IP as in the
example

Mysite.com IN PTR 123.123.123.4
Mysite2.com IN PTR 123.123.123.4

I would assume that both sites would end up using the same addr.arpa file
123.123.123.IN-ADDR.ARPA due to having the same exact ip address, nes pas?

I did a search online but could not find an example that showed named based
and ipbased on the same server/dns configuration. PTR is fun-duh-mental!