Issues with BIND 9.5.0-P2

Emery Rudolph emery.rudolph at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 20:31:15 UTC 2008

I can deal with the "too many descriptors" error, because I am running BIND
on 32-core boxes, which don't sweat the overhead. What I will not be able to
handle are unserved queries. I am in a quandry because I have one nameserver
that is not on the new hardware and it is ocassionally hitting 100% cpu
utilization, while the 32-core box, which is getting the same errors is only
hitting 6% cpu utilization.
As I said, I am planning to move the named service to off of the older
hardware, but I am in a quandry as to whether to move to 9.5.0-P1 or P2.

I think another problem will be - now that so many people have remediated
the immediate concern, they will not bother to move to P2, so the pool of
feedback is going to be much, much lower than the first go around.

Emery Rudolph