9.5.0-P2 and socket: too many open file descriptors

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Fri Aug 15 08:07:03 UTC 2008

At Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:05:26 -0700,
"David Sparks" <dave at ca.sophos.com> wrote:

> You could add a cmdline option to configure to override the "calculated"
> value.  ie:
>
> ./configure --max-fd=256

We've already provided this knob in a different form: ISC_SOCKET_FDSETSIZE.
The difficult part is to autodetect the run-time maximum at the
configure/build time, which is what I pointed out.

Besides, if the main concern is this:

> My main concern is that right now it is highly unlikely that distro binaries
> will contain the increased FD_SETSIZE forcing anyone running into this problem
> to compile a custom named.  While compiling a new binary is not a problem for
> me I cannot get a junior admin to upgrade named, which is a problem.

adding a knob like --max-fd or ISC_SOCKET_FDSETSIZE doesn't help, and
since autodetecting the ideal value is difficult (if not impossible)
as already explained, and since allowing a larger value for select()
unconditionally could be dangerous, we cannot satisfy everyone.  It's
a matter of tradeoff.

Again, nevertheless, we'll (probably) provide a cure for novice
administrators whose whole world is Linux: a command line option to
raise the maximum number of usable sockets.

> Thanks for your comments and help, I really appreciate it.  And I'd like to
> give a big "Thank You" to all the people who worked on BIND over the years.

You're most welcome.  I'm glad to hear P2 actually works as we hoped.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.