Zone file not updating

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Wed Aug 20 17:32:42 UTC 2008

Alan Clegg wrote:
> Due to the way that updates work, if you don't increment your SOA, the
> slave servers are NEVER going to get the update if you forget to bump
> the serial number.

Wow... what a confusing thing I just said.

For clarification:

If you forget to increment the serial number, the updated zone won't be
transferred to the slaves unless you purge the existing zone data on the
slaves and restart bind.

If the master has the same (or older) SOA record based on serial number
for a given zone, the slave will never see the need to request a
transfer of the zone data.

Always update the serial number.

AlanC