Zone file not updating

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Aug 20 17:37:54 UTC 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 1:19 PM, "Alan Clegg" <Alan_Clegg at isc.org> wrote:

> Linux Addict wrote:
>> Nikolai Lusan wrote:
>
>>> So you edited the file and changed the value of some "foo IN MX <XX>
>>> bar" line .. did you remember to update the serial in the SOA?
>
>> It wont do immediately. Either you change the serial no or you have
>> wait
>> until the "refresh" time on your SOA expires so the master pushes the
>> changes.
>
> Due to the way that updates work, if you don't increment your SOA, the
> slave servers are NEVER going to get the update if you forget to bump
> the serial number.
>
> Just Do It.
>
> AlanC

One exception I can think of is if you erase the db file for the zone
on the secondary name server and restart named. It would transfer a
copy in this case on startup due to having no prior SOA to compare.

That being said... Always update the serial number as has been stated.
That's the way it was designed to work.