General performance

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Dec 24 04:36:36 UTC 2008

Hello, I am working with a client of mine, who jumped right into
developing a backend system for managing his arsenal of sites.  I am
not entirely sure what he is up to, but there is potential to have to
add in 50,000 zones.

 From what I can gather, all the zones are the same, they all have 2 A
records, pointing to the same IP address.

First, if I learn it is in fact true that all 50K zones will be
identical, is there any reason to make 50K zone files? Is it ok to
point different domains to the same zone file?

If not, it is not a huge deal, just a little more management to clean
up additions and deletions and such.

What type of hardware am I going to need CPU wise to deal with this
many domains?  Currently, I have been managing cases in which a few
thousand seem to be no big deal, on minimal hardware, something like a
Mac Mini at times.

Does upping the qty of domains and zones a few orders of magnitude
cause any issues?  Or does it all come back to how many lookups per
second are happening?

There is no recursion on these servers, they are just serving out zone
data, no clients connect to these machines.

Thanks
--
Scott