Question about running Pri Masters on VMWare

ListAcct listacc at ocosa.com
Wed Feb 6 23:28:05 UTC 2008

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, ListAcct wrote:
>

>> Mark,
>>
>> It works just like a physical server (like a charm).  I run our
>>

> maybe for a single DNS, but it certainly is not suitable to replace
> everything (despite what their sales personell try to BS you), think of
> mail servers with spam/anti virus that do real workloads, radius and
> netflow collectors, and mysql? you want to risk THAT on vmware, bad, very
> bad, unless of course its not a critical service and you can afford to
> have it screwedup and corrputed, I'd never use it again, for even DNS.

Wow.  VMware does work like a charm _depending on what you put on it_.
You can not run your entire infrastructure and expect to come out
"peaces and cream". :-P
I agree, sales staff BS you sometimes but they are mostly hoping you do
your research and test.  Mail servers with anti-virus/spam should not be
ran in my opinion: as if you use mail scanner the requirements for the
basic system is all of the physical box, there again depending on the
load.  We place our monitoring, ticketing, MTA, and (1) DNS that's about
it on virtual. So I understand you.  Oh I forgot we use it to test out
new software. We have some virtual and some physical.  I agree with you
just can not have critical services (mysql, netflow) on virtual when you
have one physical box or a similar setup.  But we have had great success
with it and are proud.  One last point  - Even with a physical server
you are as good as the physical hardware unless you have a mirror box to
keep the service going.  So virtual or physical same bolt.  VMware
worked ok for us not so good for you? The key is for Mark to do his
homework in which he is currently doing.

--Otis