IXFR-From-Differences

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Feb 29 01:02:54 UTC 2008

> Our BIND 9 master also acts as a slave for two Active Directory dynamic
> zones.  The dynamic zones are received as IXFR, but the other
> non-dynamic zone files are downloaded periodically from a central
> server.  When the static files are downloaded, BIND is restarted to
> cause it to load the new zone files.  In this situation, it doesn't seem
> to me that ixfr-from-differneces would allow incremental transfers of
> the static zones.  Assuming this is correct, could ixfr-from-differences
> be used if rndc were used to reload the static files instead of
> restarting BIND?

	One of named's design goals is that it should never have
	to be restarted.  If you are restarting, except to upgrade
	or because the host platform rebooted, then your mode of
	operation is wrong.

	"rndc reload <zone>" is how you are supposed to reload
	static zones.

	ixfr-from-differences needs something to compute the delta
	from.  It uses the in memory image of the zone prior to
	reload to do this.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC