Bind 9.4.2 not resolving external names but seemingly only on linux

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jan 15 00:04:02 UTC 2008

It sounds like perhaps you haven't defined 'allow-recursion' on the
Linux server. The default value for this has changed with 9.4.

When you say that resolution of internal addresses works fine, is the
server authoritative for this data? And are the client machines that
try to look up data on the same subnet as the server, or are they on a
separate logical subnet?

The default now is:

allow-recursion { localhost; localnets; };
allow-query { any; };

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.