Bind is crashing? How to troubleshoot?

Scott Baker bakers at web-ster.com
Fri Jan 18 18:14:39 UTC 2008

I've been experiencing what appear to be random crashes on my Fedora
8, Bind 9.5.0 install. The server will stay up for about 8 hours
serving about 200 queries per second no problem, and then it appears
to randomly crash. I've also tried 9.4.2 from source and experienced
the same problem.

The named service will stop running, the pid file remains in place
with a now invalid pid in it. I'm thinking this means that the
service crashed or did not exit cleanly. Shouldn't it remove the pid
file on a clean exit?

Checking the logs I see NOTHING about why the service stopped. Is
there a debug mode, or another way I can determine when/why this is
crashing?

--
Scott Baker - Canby Telcom
RHCE - System Administrator - 503.266.8253