forwarding options?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Jan 27 15:23:45 UTC 2008

On 25.01.08 13:45, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Why not run rbldnsd on the same box, on an off-port? That's what we do.

That is not related to any of subjects in my question.

- the forwarding is the same whether it's 127.0.0.1 or any other IP.
- rbldns can be reconfigured (which still requires restart thus downtime,
  iirc)
- forwarding between farm of caches is not related to rbldns

> Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > Is it possible to tune forwarding options a bit? I'm subscribed  in this
> > list just for a while, maybe this was discussed already, but I haven't find
> > any record about that (links, hints welcome)
> >
> > I have one local rbldns server whicvh mirrors some DNS zones and I have
> > configured BIND to forward requests for the zones to that server first.
> > However when the server crashes or is rebooted, forwarding slows responses
> > down too much. I would like to have an option here to set maximum timeout when forwarding
> > to server, e.g. 3 seconds, which should be enough for deciding that the
> > server is not alive.
> >
> > Another option that comes to my mind is to working with farm of DNS caches.
> > Forwarding requests to them first could spare them from sending too many
> > requests to the world and imho even speed up DNS resolving.
> > That requires ability to send requests with RD bit set off not to create any
> > loop. And also it would require the feature above not to slow down if one of
> > caches is down.
> >
> > Combination of those two above would be also nice. That would require
> > two-level forwarding - local rbldns mirror(s) first, neighbour caches after,
> > and standard resolving then.
> >
> > Any opinions? Should I just post enhancement requests?

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...