forwarding options?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jan 30 00:20:48 UTC 2008

The point is, if you're forwarding to an instance on the same server,
you're never going to have the "queries time out because forwarding
server is down" situation. Which is what you described as the problem
you're trying to solve.

As for your "cache farm" idea, it's hard to evaluate that without
understanding what you mean by "mirroring". Is your rbldns server
*authoritative* for the zones in question? If so, is it a *published*
nameserver for the zones in question? If it's a published nameserver,
then probably you should just define "stub" zones and let the RTT
mechanism do its thing. If it's authoritative but not published
("stealth slave"), rather than building a "cache farm", why don't you
just "mirror" the zones on another rbldns server, and then put some sort
of software/hardware load-balancer in front of the two?

I don't see why you mention looping. Why would there be looping if the
resolution path terminates in an authoritative server for the zone in
question?

If these "mirrored" zones aren't being served authoritatively, then I
have no clue what you're trying to describe.

- Kevin