TCP queries fail - BIND 9.5.0 Windows Server 2003

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jul 14 04:31:13 UTC 2008

Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
>> Note that based on the error you may have run out of Windows handles. If
>> you can monitor named, check the number of handles that it's using. This
>> is not shown by default in the task manager, you have to add the column
>> handle count in from the View->Select Columns menu. While you are at it
>> add the thread count. This will give an idea of whether there is a handle
>> problem. Also run netstat -aon and count the number of open sockets by
>> named.
>
> Unfortunately Windows netstat don't show the process owner, but looking the
> ports there are only a couple open socket by named.

The -o option shows you the PID of the application using the port. You
can lookup the PID of named.

> Task manager show for this server (2G of RAM, run 2 days) following numbers:
>
> Mem usage 839 488 K (and rising every cycle)
> Handles 3466

This is likely to be a problem. Once you run out of handles you cannot
do very much including opening new sockets. The only other application
that I know of that uses handles in such wild abandon is Outlook and
that's absolutely absurd. I did once catch it with something like ~700
open sockets, but that's a different story.

> Threads 13

How many CPU's on the system? This sounds like it's using quite a few
TCP ports. Are you sure you only have a few open ports? The other tool
that I use is cports, but the version I have doesn't support IPv6 but
it's useful for things like this.

Danny