TCP queries fail - BIND 9.5.0 Windows Server 2003

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Mon Jul 14 07:29:48 UTC 2008

From: "Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org>
> Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
>>> Note that based on the error you may have run out of Windows handles. If
>>> you can monitor named, check the number of handles that it's using. This
>>> is not shown by default in the task manager, you have to add the column
>>> handle count in from the View->Select Columns menu. While you are at it
>>> add the thread count. This will give an idea of whether there is a
>>> handle problem. Also run netstat -aon and count the number of open
>>> sockets by named.
>>
>> Unfortunately Windows netstat don't show the process owner, but looking
>> the ports there are only a couple open socket by named.
>>

> The -o option shows you the PID of the application using the port. You can
> lookup the PID of named.

Ok, here are the sockets for named, PID 972:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID

TCP 62.142.220.8:53 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972

TCP 62.142.220.8:953 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972

TCP 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972

TCP 127.0.0.1:953 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:1064 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:4953 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:5106 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:6274 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:16667 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:17948 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:18302 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:30470 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:31069 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:33660 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:38302 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:47613 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:48802 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:48902 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:58667 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:61738 *:* 972

UDP 0.0.0.0:64136 *:* 972

UDP 62.142.220.8:53 *:* 972

UDP 127.0.0.1:53 *:* 972

>> Task manager show for this server (2G of RAM, run 2 days) following
>> numbers:
>>
>> Mem usage 839 488 K (and rising every cycle)
>> Handles 3466

Today, 30 hours later these are 1 259 599 K (so well over a gig already...)
and 3545.

And these are just for the named process.

> This is likely to be a problem. Once you run out of handles you cannot do
> very much including opening new sockets. The only other application that I
> know of that uses handles in such wild abandon is Outlook and that's
> absolutely absurd. I did once catch it with something like ~700 open
> sockets, but that's a different story.
>
>> Threads 13
>
> How many CPU's on the system? This sounds like it's using quite a few TCP
> ports. Are you sure you only have a few open ports? The other tool that I
> use is cports, but the version I have doesn't support IPv6 but it's useful
> for things like this.

Two dual-core Xeon processors, so Windows sees 4 "processors". FSC RX300
server.