Caching name server setup problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Jul 15 20:32:42 UTC 2008

Michael Varre wrote:

> [...]
Here's how they interrelate (from the ARM):

*allow-query*

    Specifies which hosts are allowed to ask ordinary DNS questions.
    *allow-query* may also be specified in the *zone* statement, in
    which case it overrides the *options allow-query* statement. If not
    specified, the default is to allow queries from all hosts.

          Note

    *allow-query-cache* is now used to specify access to the cache.

*allow-query-cache*

    Specifies which hosts are allowed to get answers from the cache. If
    *allow-query-cache* is not set then *allow-recursion* is used if
    set, otherwise *allow-query* is used if set, otherwise the default
    (*localnets;* *localhost;*) is used.

*allow-recursion*

    Specifies which hosts are allowed to make recursive queries through
    this server. If *allow-recursion* is not set then
    *allow-query-cache* is used if set, otherwise *allow-query* is used
    if set, otherwise the default (*localnets;* *localhost;*) is used