Caching name server setup problems

Michael Varre mike at jirc.com
Wed Jul 16 02:13:42 UTC 2008

> Here's how they interrelate (from the ARM):
>
> *allow-query*
>
>     Specifies which hosts are allowed to ask ordinary DNS questions.
>     *allow-query* may also be specified in the *zone* statement, in
>     which case it overrides the *options allow-query* statement. If not
>     specified, the default is to allow queries from all hosts.
>

>           Note
>
>     *allow-query-cache* is now used to specify access to the cache.
>
> *allow-query-cache*
>
>     Specifies which hosts are allowed to get answers from the cache. If
>     *allow-query-cache* is not set then *allow-recursion* is used if
>     set, otherwise *allow-query* is used if set, otherwise the default
>     (*localnets;* *localhost;*) is used.
>
> *allow-recursion*
>
>     Specifies which hosts are allowed to make recursive queries through
>     this server. If *allow-recursion* is not set then
>     *allow-query-cache* is used if set, otherwise *allow-query* is used
>     if set, otherwise the default (*localnets;* *localhost;*) is used
>

>     - Kevin

[Michael P. Varre]

Wow, talk about going cross-eyed!  So, without any of those set, with normal
recursion turned on, an no views, I should still be getting answers for
recursive queries from "other" subnets, right?  I don't see that I have
anything at all set that would inhibit a recursive query from anywhere at
all.

Thanks again