Upgrade from 9.3.1 to 9.3.5p1 issues

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:07:23 UTC 2008

I'm trying to upgrade 9.3.1 -> 9.3.5p1 on Solaris 9. I'm planning to
use  "./configure --prefix /usr/local/domain && make && make install"
-- while doing this on a Debian test environment I noticed there is no
named.conf installed & bind failed to start complaining that there is
no named.conf -- is this natural? Sorry, but I have never compiled
Bind from source.

Also, my current Bind is installed under /usr/local/domain but the
libraries are under /usr/local/lib/. For example, libdns.a is under
/usr/local/lib/ and not under /usr/local/domain/lib/ -- I am wondering
how this is possible if Bind is compiled under /usr/local/domain.

Also, if I upgrade Bind like this, is it possible that it is going to
overwrite some of my files/ configurations? One safest way to do this
is to compile it under /tmp/bind and then move the files across but
I'm wondering specifically which files to move across?

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated. Thanks.