Upgrade from 9.3.1 to 9.3.5p1 issues

Stacey Jonathan Marshall Stacey.Marshall at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 16 11:05:57 UTC 2008

Chris Henderson wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade 9.3.1 -> 9.3.5p1 on Solaris 9. I'm planning to
> use  "./configure --prefix /usr/local/domain && make && make install"
> -- while doing this on a Debian test environment I noticed there is no
> named.conf installed & bind failed to start complaining that there is
> no named.conf -- is this natural? Sorry, but I have never compiled
> Bind from source.

The named.conf file is not created automatically, it must be created by
the DNS admin.  Its the configuration file and everyone is different.

A good starting point is the secure-bind-template:
http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind-template.html
> Also, my current Bind is installed under /usr/local/domain but the
> libraries are under /usr/local/lib/. For example, libdns.a is under
> /usr/local/lib/ and not under /usr/local/domain/lib/ -- I am wondering
> how this is possible if Bind is compiled under /usr/local/domain.

Specify the paths individually, for example:

        ./configure --with-libtool \
        --prefix="/usr" \
         --bindir="XXX" \
        --sbindir="XXX" \
        --libdir="XXX" \
        --sysconfdir="/etc" \
        --localstatedir="/var" \
        --enable-threads \
        --with-openssl=no \
        --with-randomdev=/dev/random

Note that Solaris 8 does not provide OpenSSL.  If you want to use DNSSEC
you will need to obtain OpenSSL and build that as well (libcrypto.a).
> Also, if I upgrade Bind like this, is it possible that it is going to
> overwrite some of my files/ configurations? One safest way to do this
> is to compile it under /tmp/bind and then move the files across but
> I'm wondering specifically which files to move across?

Providing you don't specify directories where other versions are already
installed it wont overwrite them.
It does not make or install configuration or zone files.
> If anyone could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Stace