Updated bind problem Out of file descriptors.

Steve Wright wright at sc.edu
Thu Jul 17 17:28:42 UTC 2008

Howdy,

On three of our busiest nameservers I'm getting lots 'o log messages of
the form:

   Jul 17 12:58:37 serverX named[17126]: general: error: socket: too
many open file descriptors

I understand the basic problem, how do I reset the limits, and do you
have guidelines for where to set them.

We are running Scientific Linux, a RedHat derivative.  with either their
patched fix version 9.2.4-28.0.1.el4.i386 (their version number not
ISC's) or BIND 9.4.2-P1 from ISC.

Thanks much in advance,
--
Steve
~~~~~

  Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer