Updated bind problem Out of file descriptors.

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Jul 17 18:05:03 UTC 2008

At Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:28:42 -0400,
Steve Wright <wright at sc.edu> wrote:

> On three of our busiest nameservers I'm getting lots 'o log messages of
> the form:
>
>    Jul 17 12:58:37 serverX named[17126]: general: error: socket: too
> many open file descriptors
>
> I understand the basic problem, how do I reset the limits, and do you
> have guidelines for where to set them.
>
> We are running Scientific Linux, a RedHat derivative.  with either their
> patched fix version 9.2.4-28.0.1.el4.i386 (their version number not
> ISC's) or BIND 9.4.2-P1 from ISC.

You have probably already done that, but I'd first suggest you be
certain that named is actually using more than 1000 sockets (use lsof
or something like that).

If that's the case, I recommend you switch to a beta.  Even if you can
avoid 'the too many open files' error, you won't be satisfied with the
overhead of the non-scalable API with such a large number of sockets.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.