partial zone?

Dawn Connelly dawn.connelly at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 01:32:20 UTC 2008

you can set up domains in your named.conf for host1.testdomain.com and
host2.testdomain.com as masters and have an A record for the domain that
resolves to the IP address you want. Since you wouldn't be authoritative for
the full domain, it would still look to the other name server for resolution
of the other records.
Named.conf would look like this:

zone "host1.testdomain.com" in {
  type master;
  file "host1.testdomain.com";
};
The zone file would look like this:

host1.testdomain.com.     IN     SOA    MyDNSserver.testdomain.com.
hostmaster.testdomain.com. (
                    2008072200 ; serial
                    21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                    3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                    604800     ; expire after 1 week
                    86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day
host1.testdomain.com.  IN    A    10.0.0.1