partial zone?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Jul 24 01:10:47 UTC 2008

PL wrote:
> Is it possible to have a zone with just a few A-records resolving to
> local addresses but forwarding all other queries for records not found
> within the local zone to another server?
>
> Example:
>
> MyDNSserver would host the testdomain.com zone with:
> host1 IN A 10.0.0.1
> host2 IN A 10.0.0.2
>
> RealDNSserver would host the same testdomain.com zone with ALL
> records, including the ones defined in MyDNSserver:
> host1 IN A 55.55.55.1
> host2 IN A 55.55.55.2
> host3 IN A 55.55.55.3
> host4 IN A 55.55.55.4
>
> Now, a client on my 10.0.0.0 network would query MyDNSserver for host1
> and get an answer of 10.0.0.1 but if it queries for host3, it would
> get 55.55.55.3 which would come from RealDNSserver which replied to
> the forwarded request from MyDNSserver.

No, once you're authoritative for a zone you don't ask anyone else about
it. That would be kind of like asking someone else what your own
thoughts or ideas are on a particular subject. There are no "partial"
zones; zones are the basic unit of DNS administrative control.

So your options are
a) make those individual entries (host1.testdomain.com, etc.) separate
zones unto themselves (this tends to be rather unmaintainable beyond a
certain point) so you can locally "override" the resolution that's
coming from RealDNSserver, or
b) if you have a tight-knit relationship with the maintainers of
RealDNSserver, maintain two (or more) different versions of the zone in
parallel with each other