Patch 9.4.2->9.4.2-P1 breaking tcp-responder?

Jason Bratton jbratton at rackspace.com
Fri Jul 25 20:35:41 UTC 2008

After posting my email, I finally figured out the problem.  For some
reason, I had to set tcp-listen-queue.  I never had it set before, so
something changed in the code, but yeah, that fixed it.  I set both
tcp-clients and tcp-listen-queue to 1000 and haven't had any problems
like that since.

-- Jason

Thomas Jacob wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> We're having problems with the -P1 version, some time after
> starting the server (could be minutes or hours), the tcp request
> handler seems to get stuck, and all (or almost all) new requests
> get stuck in the SYN_RECV tcp stat. We haven't found out what
> exactly triggers this yet, could be load, could be specific
> types of queries.
>
> This seems to be the same problem as described
> in the following post by Jason Bratton:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=121628960603391&w=2
>
> The main difference should be that we're running
> the version of bind that comes with Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS x86_64,
> and the problems happen when upgrading from
> version bind9_9.4.2-10 to bind9_9.4.2-10ubuntu0.1, a diff
> between these two shows the exact same -P1 patch as in the upstream
> version.
>
> Our tcp related settings:
>
> transfers-out 100;
> transfers-per-ns 100;
> tcp-clients 5000;
> recursive-clients 10000
>
> Is anyone else seeing this? Is this really a bind bug? And if yes, is
> there a workaround?
>

>      Regards,
>        Thomas

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.