Patch 9.4.2->9.4.2-P1 breaking tcp-responder?

Thomas Jacob jacob at internet24.de
Fri Jul 25 16:33:13 UTC 2008

Hello list,

We're having problems with the -P1 version, some time after
starting the server (could be minutes or hours), the tcp request
handler seems to get stuck, and all (or almost all) new requests
get stuck in the SYN_RECV tcp stat. We haven't found out what
exactly triggers this yet, could be load, could be specific
types of queries.

This seems to be the same problem as described
in the following post by Jason Bratton:

http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=121628960603391&w=2

The main difference should be that we're running
the version of bind that comes with Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS x86_64,
and the problems happen when upgrading from
version bind9_9.4.2-10 to bind9_9.4.2-10ubuntu0.1, a diff
between these two shows the exact same -P1 patch as in the upstream
version.

Our tcp related settings:

transfers-out 100;
transfers-per-ns 100;
tcp-clients 5000;
recursive-clients 10000

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this really a bind bug? And if yes, is
there a workaround?

     Regards,
       Thomas