nstx

lucio at sulweb.org lucio at sulweb.org
Sat Jul 26 15:50:16 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm new here but I've being using bind from time to time since year 2002.
However I'm still quite noob.

I'm trying to configure bind 9.3.4/Debian Etch with a master zone and a
subdomain in it (I'm following this howto [1]). The master zone is
example.com and its subdomain is tx.example.com (I obviously used a real
domain of mine instead of example.com, but I prefer not reporting the real
name because I'm not sure about the security of nstx).

Based on what's written in the howto I've compiled the following
example.com.db file:

;
; BIND data file for example.com
;
$TTL    604800
@       IN      SOA     example.com. info.example.com. (
                            2008072502         ; Serial
                                  7200         ; Refresh
                                   120         ; Retry
                                2419200         ; Expire
                                604800)        ; Default TTL
;
@       IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
;@       IN      NS      ns2.example.com.
example.com.             IN      MX      10      mail2.example.com.
example.com.             IN      A       x.y.z.47
ns1                          IN      A       x.y.z.47
www                          IN      CNAME   example.com.
mail2                        IN      CNAME   www.example.com.
fioredec                     IN      CNAME   www.example.com.
tx                        IN      NS      ns.tx.example.com.
$ORIGIN tx.example.com.
@               IN      NS      ns.tx.example.com.
ns              IN      A       x.y.z.48

Bind9 is listening on the interface x.y.z.47 and nstxd is listening (udp
only) on the interface x.y.z.48.

If I query nstxd directly I get what seems to be a reasonable reply (for
that daemon at least):

# dig @x.y.z.48 whatever.tx.example.com
[...] NOERROR [...] IN TXT [...]

So I assume nstxd it's working ok. But if I ask Bind9 who's the nameserver
for tx.example.com I get a SERVFAIL:

# dig @x.y.z.47 -t ns tx.example.com
[...] SERVFAIL [...]

The same if I dig whatever.tx.example.com using Bind9.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Lucio.

[1] http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html