[bind] Re: The worst thing about the exploit -- Have you done your part?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 28 17:43:10 UTC 2008

Amen to that.

Also most of the companies that reported "no problems" with Y2k were
publicly traded and didn't there admit to any problems no matter how
small.

On Y2K the one project of the large Fortune 500 I worked for DID have
two problems (albeit minor ones).   Given the amount of prep work we'd
done that was a bit surprising.  I often wondered if ever project in
that company had just 2 problems and every company of similar size had
problems how many Y2K problems there really were.

Also it was the news media that was painting doomsday scenarios at the
time.  Most of us in IT knew that it was important to solve the Y2K
issues ahead of time but also knew we didn't need to water, food and
ammunition.   What really annoyed me after Y2K was how the same alarmist
media complained as if it was the IT community that had told them to use
the scare tactics.  They also didn't bother to do a single story about
the amount of effort done to address Y2K proactively.