how to setup revdns for /16 subnet

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 28 15:20:30 UTC 2008

I wasn't providing my entire named.conf - just example - for each range
of IPs I have an entry in named.conf of which I only posted the first.

A single zone file DOES work for multiple ranges because the named.conf
entry indicates from which zone file to query the reverse.   You can
have one zone file that has multiple named.conf entries pointing to it.

My point was that I had originally thought I'd broken the first entry
below which is required based on the way AT&T delegates to us because my
dig directly to my server wouldn't understand the delegation syntax.
Adding the second entry you see below resolved that because it is the
syntax dig understood going directly to my host.

You can have different ranges using the first entry syntax (specifying
the range) but still keep it all in a single zone file.  Or you can have
two different zone files for that.

My final comment was that the second entry I had made was for the basic
(no range) entry used for the direct dig of my server and because of the
fact it was expecting a certain zone I didn't think you could split it
up.  If you don't care about doing direct dig of your server you don't
need it.