how to setup revdns for /16 subnet

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jul 29 11:59:44 UTC 2008

On 28.07.08 11:20, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I wasn't providing my entire named.conf - just example - for each range
> of IPs I have an entry in named.conf of which I only posted the first.
>

> A single zone file DOES work for multiple ranges because the named.conf
> entry indicates from which zone file to query the reverse.   You can
> have one zone file that has multiple named.conf entries pointing to it.

I don't see any point in merging all zones to the same file and expecting
BIND to search trhrough it when loading, only when providing the same data
(I use that for empty RFC 1918 and 3330 zones)

I guess that can cause problems and makes loading slower.

> My point was that I had originally thought I'd broken the first entry
> below which is required based on the way AT&T delegates to us because my
> dig directly to my server wouldn't understand the delegation syntax.

> Adding the second entry you see below resolved that because it is the
> syntax dig understood going directly to my host.

"dig" and "named" don't have to understand the syntax. They are simply
searching for PTR record, e.g. 193.84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA if the IP is
12.44.84.193. Reverse lookup shows that it has CNAME record of
193.192/27.84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA and nameservers for
192/27.84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA are those yours, so they are asked for it.

currently you are unable to recolve records for other IPs in 12.44.84.0/24,
unless you have own PTR records in the zone, but they are most probably
different from those at&t has.

I advise you simply remove the 84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA zone from your named,
so the resolution will go through standard process. If that fails, something
is broken and you should find out what, instead of faking reverse zone
yourself.

> You can have different ranges using the first entry syntax (specifying
> the range) but still keep it all in a single zone file.  Or you can have
> two different zone files for that.

I recomment the latter one, instead of keeping all stuff in one file.
(if that breaks, all your zones will probably disappear)