DNS resolution over multicast in a combined bind/ADS server environment

John linux55 at bluemail.ch
Wed Jun 4 14:37:28 UTC 2008

Hello,

we intend to install a DNS server under Linux, also because the new
mailserver Zimbra seems to require a local DNS server.
Before we had only a W2K3 based AD domaincontroller which was(is) the
DNS server for 5 WXP clients (with database clients installed)

I heard that it's problematic to have an AD domaincontroller in the
network with the name abcdefg.local (resolution over multicast)
.

Questions:
1.
What is the real problem in having an ADS with the name abcdefg.local
in the same network with a Linux based DNS server?

2.
Could the W2K3 based ADS continue to be the DNS server for the 5 WXP
clients?

Any feedback is appreciated very much. Thank you!

Bill