fedora core 9 bind problem

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 09:22:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:19:25AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	Named has *alway* required a writeable working directory.
> 	This was explicitly pointed out in earlier versions of
> 	manuals, etc.  The working directory is the default write
> 	location for lots of files, in addition it is the default
> 	on most OS's for core dumps.  Failure to provide this will
> 	may cause some operations to fail.  It may also make it
> 	more difficult to diagnose fatal problems which cause named
> 	to exit.

Hm, could you point me why exactly working directory is required to be
writable? We have writable subdirectories in working directory for
secondary zones, DDNS zones, runtime information but many of files
don't have to be writable - like zone files (non DDNS zones), keys
etc. It improves security and doesn't affect named. Only core files
might be problem (it was discussed some time ago) but this is not
common situation and admin can explicitly make working directory
writable.

> 	If the defaults presented by the OS don't meet the applications
> 	needs then the defaults are wrong and should be corrected.
> 	"defaults" here covers both the file system and the contents
> 	of named.conf.
>
> 	Mark

I'm ready to make working directory writable but I don't see any
benefit now. Could you point me in which situations named could have
problems?

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.