getting CNAME to work for www.domain.com equals domain.com on http line

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Mar 11 05:18:13 UTC 2008

I don't really understand the question, but it sounds like you're
looking to have the URL change in the web browser based on DNS
records. That isn't how it works.

If you want both "domain" and "www.domain" to work in the browser,
then either create two A records (one for each) or make "www.domain"
an alias (a CNAME record) of "domain". The effect, for web browsers,
is essentially identical - the browser doesn't care about the CNAME
record, it just wants the IP address.

If you want one to change to the other in what is displayed in the URL
field of the web browser, you must do this at the HTTP level, with an
HTTP 302 response (if I recall correctly).

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice