finding authoritative nameservers

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue May 20 00:37:15 UTC 2008

In message <200805200014.m4K0E1HR028826 at drugs.dv.isc.org>,
Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>	res_findzonecut().

(boggle!)

This is REALLY REALLY close to what I have been trying... badly... to
implement myself.

(So where have you been all my life, Mr. KnowItAll? :-)

But seriously, there is one small fly in the ointment.  This function
apparently returns the IPv4 addresses of the namesevers of interest
to me.  But I _need_ the _names_ of those... not their addresses.

Sigh.  So close, yet so far.

Well, I guess I'll ned to grab source for this and start hacking together
a personal customized version.

... and THEN, separately, I'll have to get on to the Net::DNS guy, and
find out to what extent, if any, _he_ might also be willing to help me
to realize my Grand Design.  (At present, Net::DNS::Resolver does not
appear to implement a res_findzonecut method... let alone a hacked-up
version of that which will do what _I_ want it to do.)

Oh well.  As my dad used to say ``If it was easy, they'd have monkeys
doing it.''

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  I'm sitting here looking at:

   http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DNS/

and I can't for the life of me see hwo to file a bug report or an enhancment
request.  But there's got to be a way, because I see 17 pending bug reports.
Does anybody want to give me the clue about how to file a bug report with
CPAN, cuz I've never done it before.  (Up till now, every Perl thing I
ever used in my life just worked.)