About error/warning found on the server

Robert Spangler mlists at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 1 00:18:04 UTC 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 15:47, Barry Margolin wrote:

>  > > > MX
>  > > > 1)
>  > > > MX CNAME Check
>  > > > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
>  > > > smtp.secureserver.net
>  > > > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok
>  > > > per
>  > > > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > > How to get this problem fixed?  On Registrar's website?  OR on the
>  > > > server, which file?
>  > >
>  > > In the zone file on the nameserver.  Change any MX records that point
>  > > smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.
>  >
>  > I suppose making change on Registrar's website.  What shall I replace
>  > "where"?  OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net
>
>  You need to make the change on the web site of the provider that hosts
>  your DNS.  Registrars are used to register domains, they don't
>  necesarily operate the DNS (although some may do both, and perhaps
>  that's the case for you).  Basically, go to whatever site you normally
>  use to make changes to the contents of your domain.
>
>  "smtp.where.secureserver.net" is the actual name you need to put in your
>  MX record.

A quick whois lookup shows that you used GoDaddy to register.
GoDaddy sets up bogus MX records and you can remove them.

[GoDaddy......]
10   xen02.satimis.com   220.232.213.178
20   smtp.secureserver.net   -> CNAME(s) -> 64.202.166.12 (no glue)
30   mailstore1.secureserver.net   64.202.166.11 (no glue)
[......GoDaddy]

You can remove any MX record that you do not accept mail through.

--

Regards
Robert

It is not just an adventure.