FORMERR resolving

root root at lautenbacher.biz
Fri Nov 7 14:06:44 UTC 2008

Dear bind users!

I have set up ISP bind 9.4.2-39.2 and ICP DHCP 3.0.6-86.1 for a local
network of me.

The dhcpd issues leases to my local machines. Then it updates my DNS-zones
accordingly.

I use a TSIG-key for the authentication between DHCP and BIND, so that only
DHCP is allowed to manipulate my zones.

So far so good. This setup worked for about a week very smooth and without
any problems.

Since a few days I have heavy problems with the resolved of foreign
domain-names.

Often these are not resolved properly and the clients receive "Address not
found" errors, e.g. in their browsers when they try to access some websites.

Having a look in the syslog I am receiving the following error message:

FORMERR resolving '<domainname>/A/IN':<IP>#53

Example:

Nov  7  15:23:14 computername named[<processed>]: FORMERR resolving
'static.cache.l.google.com/A/IN': 217.237.150.188#53

I receive 15 of these messages for each attempt to resolve a single address!
With other words my syslog is full of those messages!

The messages are all the same, except of the IP address at the end.

Having had a closer look to this IPs I realized, that the 15 IPs are the IPs
of my forwarders and of the root-servers found in the root.hint of bind!!

I have tried other forwarders, but with no cure to the problem.

The funny thing is, that when I restart bind (rcnamed restart) for some
minutes everything works like a charm!

But then suddenly: FORMERR, FORMERR, FORMERR!!

What could the cause be for this strange behavior?!

Thanx for every hint and peace of information!!

Best regards

Tom Root