Getting "too many timeouts resolving"

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Nov 11 01:43:16 UTC 2008

Steve Koon wrote:
> I am getting these errors because I have resolve turn on in both my
> secondaries?
I think you mean "recursion" rather than "resolve".
> I was not getting this until I did this and need this for
> some testing over the next three days so that some testing can be done
> with our dev and outsourced test team. Is there a way to block these
> request that are no coming from either an ip address or subnet?

Well, frostfellow.info doesn't exist, according to the .info
nameservers. "too many timeouts ... disabling EDNS" _usually_ means that
you have a firewall or some other middlebox that is ignorant of EDNS0,
but it can also be indicative that DNS is completely *blocked* between
your address range(s) and one or more relevant ranges of the Internet
address space. One important detail you neglected to mention is whether
frostfellow.info actually resolves from ns2.escapia.com. The "disabling
EDNS" messages may be just the tip of the iceberg here.

FWIW, all of the .info TLD Servers appear to understand EDNS0, so that's
not the problem.

As for "unexpected rcode (SERVFAIL)", that's pretty much par for the
course. SERVFAIL is kind of a "catch-all" error code, and there's plenty
of misconfigured/broken nameservers and/or delegations out there on the
wild, wild Internet.

                              - Kevin