Trouble updating zones in a multi-view scenario

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Nov 13 22:33:40 UTC 2008

Chris Thompson wrote:
> On Nov 13 2008, Justin Shore wrote:
> I can't find the posting that you said contained your full confiig file,
> but are you using ixfr-from-differences on these zones whose master files
> are shared between views? Because this ...

I might have given the wrong date.  It was getting late.  Here's the
link to the message in the archive:

http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=122608482211280&w=2

> ... is very suggestive that one view has written a journal file which
> the other one then considers corrupt. Or maybe both try to write it
> simultaneously...

I didn't realize that both views were trying to work with the jnl.
That's something to ponder.  I may have to break out my book on that one.

> If so, try turning off ixfr-from-differecences in at least one view,
> and see if that makes yourzone reloading problem go away. Then, if you
> really need ixfr-from-differences in both views, use the "journal"
> setting in the "zone" statements so that the views use different
> journal files from each other, for such zones.

I don't actually need IXFRs for what I'm doing.  I brought it over from
my old DNSBL config and added it to the new config when I built the
initial config last Spring.  I expected to set up a web GUI for zone
file editing, one that would actually make nsupdate-type updates to the
zones so IXFRs work.  I just haven't had the time to make that a
reality.  I figured the errors were harmless in my situation as long as
AXFRs could pick up the slack and get the job done.

I'll go eliminate the ixfr config and remove the jnls to see if that helps.

Thanks
  Justin