Slave Servers Return SERVFAIL

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 18 04:25:13 UTC 2008

We have a sparsely populated IN-ADDR.ARPA zone used to support our
network infrastructure.  I had originally defined the following type
of zone structure.

	bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa
	1.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa
	254.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa

Within the bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa zone file, the following records were
defined for each subdomain.

	1		IN	NS	ns1.company.com
			IN	NS	ns2.company.com
			IN	NS	ns3.company.com

My colleagues decided to do away with the delegations and separate
zone files and placed all the PTR records in a single zone file.

	1.1		IN	PTR	some-host.company.com.

	1.2		IN	PTR	other-host.company.com.

The master, ns1.company.com, has no problem resolving the IP
addresses.  The slaves, however, always return a SERVFAIL.

Is this the result of $ORIGIN statements that are inserted into the
zone by the master?

Given the above example, the slaves would have the following elements
in the zone file.

	SORIGIN 1.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa.
	1			PTR	some-host.company.com.
	$ORIGIN 2.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa.
	2			PTR	other-host.company.com.

While the above may have worked under BIND 8, I get the impression
that under BIND 9.3 and 9.4 that you really need to have separate zone
files.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com