Workaround Solaris's kernel bug

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Wed Nov 19 22:53:03 UTC 2008

At Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:24:47 -0500 (EST),
schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:

> Change 2489 says to define ISC_SOCKET_USE_POLLWATCH to workaround a
> Solaris kernel bug about /dev/poll.  How do I know if I should define
> this?  Should I just assume that if I am running Sloaris 8 then I need
> to define ISC_SOCKET_USE_POLLWATCH?

No, you don't need it as long as named works fine.  If this kernel bug
is triggered, named will most likely stop responding to queries, so
the symptom should be obvious.

> Is there any down side to defining
> this if it is not needed?

It relies on a kind of busy loop, so making the daemon a bit busier.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.