More specific reverse DNS?

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Wed Oct 1 15:25:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

for various reasons, I am running a local bind on my personal
notebook. I have loaded empty master zones for the reverse DNS ranges
for RFC1918:

zone "10.in-addr.arpa"      { type master; file "/etc/bind/db.empty"; };
(similiar statements for 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 snipped)

I also have a forward zone statements for the IP ranges that my company
uses in its internal network, forwarding to the actual name servers:

zone "2.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type forward;
        forwarders { 10.1.2.11; 10.1.2.15; };
        forward only;
};

However, it looks like the 10/8 master zone takes preferences, asking
for 92.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa's PTR record does result in an immediately
NXDOMAIN without queries being seen on the network.

Do I really need to locally delegate all internal networks from the
10.in-addr.arpa zone in addition to the forward statements in my
named.conf, or is there a way to have bind query the more specific
loaded zones automatically?

Greetings
Marc