BIND Based Appliances.

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:39:49 UTC 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> If you're a Linux Addict why not just buy a couple of x86 servers and
> install Linux with BIND on top of it?

Because in the real world, it's often necessary to have "one throat to
choke" and it's best if that throat is not *yours*.

We're in the process of migrating to BT Diamond's IPControl.  Web-based
administration, ability to delegate (in the policy sense) DNS additions to
others.  Built on top of ISC BIND and ISC DHCP.  IIRC, the DB is MySQL
(don't quote me on that).

Keeps track of subnets, etc, as well.  This will replace "a couple of x86
servers" with "BIND on top of" them.

HW is some OEMed x86 box, without a lot of redundancy, but we have
multiples of them and can get a replacement NBD, which is good enough for
us.  They're appliances, so we don't much care what's on them (yes, they
each have BIND).

So far, integration has not been smooth.  Many disconnects between their
Prof Servs folks, their Tech Support, and (surprise) sales.

Hope to have it running Real Soon Now.  :-/

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu