Not in control of our DNS

Jerim wyount at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:23:34 UTC 2008

We have a DNS machine running. (68.170.18.9, for example)

I setup a second DNS machine to take over for the first one. I have
everything loaded on the second machine and it works fine.
(68.170.18.10, for example)

The issue is that there is still something out on the internet
resolving our sites to the old DNS machine, which I want to turn off.
Previously, we had an arrangment with another company up in the
northeast who did some redundancy for our zones, but he has assured me
that he has removed the zones.

For example, I am using ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com for my name
servers on the registrar. On both the new and old DNS machine, I have
ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com set to resolve to 68.170.18.10, but
when I ping ns1 or ns2, it comes back as 68.170.18.9. Nothing I have
tried so far will keep queries from going to the old DNS machine.

If I update IP addresses on the new DNS it won't change anything. I
have to make the changes to the old server for it to update anything.

William