will named delete .jnl files ?

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Tue Oct 7 10:52:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Mark Elkins wrote:

> An "rndc <domain> freeze" will consolidate the zone and remove the .jnl
> file, which should probably be followed rapidly with a "rndc <domain>
> thaw" command...
>
> Even when the .jnl file is huge - I think that BIND writes out its
> concept of the zone from its memory - as a freeze runs very quickly.
>
> I guess the .jnl file is used to replay events to a "named" process that
> is restarted??
>
> Would be nice if named did a freeze/thaw cycle on being terminated???

I added a couple of lines to my init.d script to do just that. Like this
stop() {
   # clean up .jnl files
   rndc freeze
   rndc thaw
   # Stop daemons.

But, since it adds the dynamic changes in force to my original zone file
(and increments the serial number), I found an oddly looking zone file.
Later updates removed the changes and restored the zone file but another
freeze incremented the serial number again.
I finally just left it alone as I was not concerned about the size of the
.jnl files as there is a set *max-journal-size 10K;* (under options).
So I removed that addition from the stop() routine.

David Forrest                   e-mail   drf @ maplepark.com
Maple Park Development Corporation  http://www.maplepark.com
St. Louis, Missouri