will named delete .jnl files ?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 11:05:47 UTC 2008

On Oct 7 2008, Mark Elkins wrote:

>An "rndc <domain> freeze" will consolidate the zone and remove the .jnl
>file, which should probably be followed rapidly with a "rndc <domain>
>thaw" command...

Yes. But this is not something you should ever need to do in normal
circumstances.

>Even when the .jnl file is huge - I think that BIND writes out its
>concept of the zone from its memory - as a freeze runs very quickly.

It does. It also does this from time to time (c. 15 minues after an
update) during normal running. This does not mean that it clears the
journal file.

To stop the journal file getting out of control, you can use the
"max-journal-size" setting in "options" or "zone" statements.

>I guess the .jnl file is used to replay events to a "named" process that
>is restarted??

The journal file is used not only for replaying updates not yet
committed in the zone file, but also to provide the data for
incremental zone transfers (IXFR).

>Would be nice if named did a freeze/thaw cycle on being terminated???

"rndc stop" (as opposed to "rndc halt") does commit transactions to
the zone file(s). But it doesn't clear the journal files, and nor
should it.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk