zone transfer stopped and Bind stopped responding

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 02:26:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
> <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
>> log on the slave and query the master. tcpdump the communication on the
>> master too. Check both TCP and UDP communication.
>
> here's what I am getting from sniffing both the slave and master at
> the same time:
>
> from the slave I can see:
>
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
>
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
> slave -> master DNS C port=55480
>
> from the master I can see:
>
> slave -> master       DNS C domain.com. Internet SOA ?
> master -> slave DNS R domain.com. Internet SOA
> slave -> master       DNS C port=55571
> slave -> master       DNS C port=55571
> slave -> master       DNS C port=55571
> slave -> master       DNS C port=55571
> slave -> master       DNS C port=55571
>
> And in the slave's log I can that "timed-out" error.
>
> I don't have any firewall. Besides, I can ping, traceroute, ssh to and
> from the master and slave without a problem.
>
> Thanks for any further help.

Further to my previous mail, I have another zone file from the same
master server (called "203.10.21") - which is coming fine as zone
transfer to the same slave. But my "domain.com" zone transfer is
timing out. The size of the "domain.com" file is much smaller than the
"203.10.21" zone file. The zone transfer stopped after I added a
$origin RR to the master server's doamin.com file - which was a wrong
entry and I reverted the change back and ran named-checkzone on
domain.com which looks good.

I'm running out of options here. The only thing I can think of is:
delete "domain.com" file from the master, restore from backup the last
known good file and see if zone transfer happens.

Anyone has any other ideas? Bind is not really telling me why it's
timing out while doing the zone transfer for "domain.com" and not for
"203.10.21".