Partial zone files?

Michael Enke michael.enke at wincor-nixdorf.com
Sun Oct 19 13:27:57 UTC 2008

Hi all,
is there a way to tell bind that if a systems is queried
which is not in the zone file (but in same domain) to use the forwarder?

I want to do something like this:
I have no influence in the DNS-setup for the domain existing.domain
But I want to have the possibility for my systems to lookup
myhost.existing.domain.
So I setup my private DNS with the existing DNS as forwarder.

I defined myhost in my zone file.
So far so good, from now on myhost is found, but for any other host
in existing.domain I get a

For systems not in the existing.domain all is ok, the forwarder is used.
I tried to setup my bind as slave, but the forwarder doesn't allow
zone transfers.

I did not find a solution for this except manually enter all systems
which should be resolved.

Thank you,
Michael