Partial zone files?

Robert Spangler mlists at zoominternet.net
Sun Oct 19 15:39:37 UTC 2008

On Sunday 19 October 2008 09:27, Michael Enke wrote:

>  Hi all,
>  is there a way to tell bind that if a systems is queried
>  which is not in the zone file (but in same domain) to use the forwarder?

Nope.

>  I want to do something like this:
>  I have no influence in the DNS-setup for the domain existing.domain
>  But I want to have the possibility for my systems to lookup
>  myhost.existing.domain.
>  So I setup my private DNS with the existing DNS as forwarder.
>
>  I defined myhost in my zone file.
>  So far so good, from now on myhost is found, but for any other host
>  in existing.domain I get a
>  ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
>  For systems not in the existing.domain all is ok, the forwarder is used.
>  I tried to setup my bind as slave, but the forwarder doesn't allow
>  zone transfers.

Even if it did it would remove your host from that zone file and you would be
right back where you started.

>  I did not find a solution for this except manually enter all systems
>  which should be resolved.
>
>  Thank you,
>  Michael

Solution:
If you are looking to resolve just your host (which I am taking to mean that
it cannot or is not added to the master server) you could just add it to
your /etc/hosts file.  Then check host.conf to ensure that hosts is first
searched.

--

Regards
Robert